Tools for Community Leaders
The links below can be used by a variety of decision-makers -- government agencies, planners, firefighters -- to better understand community-level wildfire issues. Search interactive maps to learn more about wildfire risk in your community, and explore a science-based, parcel-level wildfire hazard assessment and ranking approach.
- Community Wildfire Hazard Assessment and Ranking
- Learn more about the process of completing a community-wide hazard assessment, download forms, and see an example of how to communicate with your community via a simple web-based map.
- Individual community members can also be pointed to the interactive Homeowner Wildfire Assessment or Evaluación de riesgos de incendios para propietarios de vivienda to complete a self-assessment of their property (a brochure explaining the features of the toolkit available to individual homeowners can be downloaded here (.pdf)).
- Builder's Wildfire Mitigation Guide
- Review a comprehensive guide to building in fire-prone areas.
- After-wildfire Resources
- Information and further resources on recovering after a wildland-urban interface fire. Tips for individual homeowners can be found here.
- Up-to-the-minute Wildfire News
- Read the top ten fire news stories from around the globe, updated continuously from Google News.